Saturday, November 3, 2012

Fortune Cookie


Normally I don’t take much stock in fortune cookies. I know that there is a whole group of people randomly concocting vague “fortunes” designed to strike a chord with anybody likely to crack open a fortune cookie.

And it would probably go a little something like this in the fortune cookie writing headquarters:

“Hey Bill, check out this one I came up with: You find beauty in ordinary things, do not lose this ability.”

And then Bill would be like

“Yeah, listen to this one: A thrilling time is in your immediate future.”

And then they would both laugh and be like “Suckersss. Someone out there is gunna think they’re special.”

What a bag of dicks fortune cookie writers are.

Anyways, I usually just read the fortune and add “between the sheets” to the ending because it makes me giggle. For example, “A thrilling time is in your immediate future… between the sheets.” Hehehe! I’m also convinced that fortune cookie writers have this in mind when they write the fortunes because they always seem to fit so well together! Or maybe I just need to get my mind out of the gutter…

However, these are desperate times, I’m in dire straights man, and other such overused clichés (that's actually not even true, I'm just being dramatic. I say this at the risk of making the whole premise this story untrue. Suck it, I'm trying to be heartfelt.) So, returning from that tangent, the point is that I decided to take one fortune cookie to heart.

And it was this: If you’re not happy with what you’ve got, how could you be happy with more?

And I was like, okay little Asian cookie, you could have a point there. I really should be happy with what I’ve got. I’m young, and life is hardly ever dull because my friends are some of the craziest people I know, and I have a whole network of people who love me and will put up with my whining. But most importantly, I have so many possibilities. Because the one upside of being unemployed and uncertain (besides endless free time to do whatever I want) is the boundless potential. Just like a stone on the brink of a cliff has the potential of high velocity, so do I, on the brink of many possibilities, have the potential of great things.

Oh and also, "If you're not happy with what you've got, how could you be happy with more?... between the sheets." HAHAHA :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ariana,
    My name is Natalie Sullivan and I'm casting an international travel show about expats moving abroad. We'd love to film in Scotland and wanted to know if you could help us find expats who have moved there within the last 15 months or have been there for 3-4 years, but recently moved into a new home. The show documents their move to a new country and will place the country in fabulous light. The expats on the show would also receive monetary compensation if they are filmed. They must also speak English fluently and can be buyers or renters for their homes. If you'd like more information, please give me a call at 212-231-7717 or skype me at natalieesullivan. You can also email me at nataliesullivan@leopardusa.com. Looking forward to hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete